By the mid-1800s Exeter’s woollen cloth industry had declined, the Incorporation’s membership had fallen and Tuckers Hall was in poor shape. In 1853 a survey of the building made a worrying discovery: the front wall was leaning 28cm (11 inches) from the perpendicular and was in danger of collapsing.

However, it wasn’t until 1875-6 that substantial repairs were undertaken. £350 (circa £0.5m) was then spent rebuilding the front of Tuckers Hall. This saved the building but altered its character. The repairs were done in the fashionable Victorian Gothic style. The new front was dominated by the round-headed windows still in place today, but to accommodate these, the medieval wood panelling of the interior had to be cut accordingly!

In 1901-2 more sensitive change removed the plaster which had covered the roof timbers of the upper chamber since the 1500s. At roughly the same time, in 1908, wooden panelling was added to the building’s entrance hall, along with the oak staircase we see today.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

History Links and Downloads